Saturday, June 5, 2010

Beer Review: Bayou Teche LA 31




So it appears that by an overwhelming margin readers want me to review beers. I appreciate the feedback and will leave the poll up until June 11th just in case. But I thought today would be a great time for a review. I had an opportunity last night at the WYES Private Beer Tasting to meet some of the crew from Bayou Teche Brewery out of Arnaudville, LA and drink some of their new beer. I won't tell you what it is but it was incredible and was brewed with passion fruit.

Anyways, I was informed that Bayou Teche had been told that "The Beer Buddha doesn't like LA 31." It's interesting how rumors get around and I guess I should be happy that I'm known well enough that I am the subject of a beer rumor but seriously. The first time I had Bayou Teche LA 31 was out of a bottle to which I didn't know the conditions it had been through. The bottle I had was not a good bottle of beer. I reserved my judgement until I had it again. I do my best not to judge a beer until I have enough of it to judge it. A perfect example is New Orleans Beer Company Pirates Blood. I've tried this beer twice and I can honestly say this is the most vile beer I have ever tasted. But anyways I have had Bayou Teche LA again, and again, and again and I continue to enjoy it. So without further ado I start my beer reviews again with Bayou Teche LA 31.

Brewery: Bayou Teche Brewery

Beer: LA 31

Style: American Pale Ale

Recommended Glassware: Pint Glass

Appearance: The beer was a nice golden orange with nice white head. Lacing present throughout and creates nice webbing.

Smell: Nice pungent hop aroma with hints of citrus.

Taste: Nicely balanced pale ale. Has a wonderful hop kick which is balanced nicely with the malty sweetness. The hops provide a nice citrus flavor. I could drink this all day.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: This is a very well done pale ale. I originally had a bad experience with this beer in the bottle but on draft it was very drinkable and what one should expect with a pale ale. With this company Louisiana is slowly becoming a serious contender for great breweries in the South.

Score: Photobucket 4 out of 5 Buddhas


Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

No comments: