Thursday, June 17, 2010

Southern Eagle Becomes A Serious Craft Beer Player in New Orleans


Perennial craft beer underdog Southern Eagle has shown that they want to be serious players in the local craft beer market by recently adding a new employee. This is huge. It's like when the New Orleans Saints signed Drew Brees huge.

Last Monday Matt McKiernan the former marketing and sales guy for Lazy Magnolia Brewery in Kiln, Mississippi began his new job as craft beer guru for the local New Orleans Bud distributor and I feel his presense will make them a true player in the craft beer market.

Southern Eagle has already showed some promise by grabbing the rights to Lazy Magnolia, local brewery Bayou Teche and also their short stint with NOLA Brewing showed they have the sales ability to sell good craft beer. Adding Matt to the mix will hopefully be the final piece to the puzzle.

In my opinion we have some breweries that are or should be looking to be coming into the state here pretty soon and Matt's reputation should help Southern Eagle land those breweries. Good luck Matt!!

Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

8 comments:

Gadfly said...

I particular when the other player big enough to make a splash on the craft scene doesn't even know what they have to sell and can't either keep anything in stock and/or take and deliver an order correctly. I think Southern Eagle is going to be a wrecking ball in the NOLA craft beer scene.

The Beer Buddha said...

Gadfly,

I agree with you 100%. I for one experience it first hand in my second job helping a local wine store with their beer selection. The rep from the other company has no clue what beers he has, doesn't know how to use his computer and is just in general, completely clueless. A phone call to his manager was a waste of time. I've been without Stone Arrogant Bastard for 3 weeks. I know they have it. We shall see.

Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

Glass Bottles said...

I will be down in New Orleans in the middle of July. I will be doing some heavy lifting in your blog to figure out just where I need to check out. Any events going on July 16-20?

The Beer Buddha said...

Off the top of my head nothing going on during those dates but we do hang out at Avenue Pub every Friday night so we'll be there the 16th. Hopefully we'll get to meet up!

Cheers!

BB

Smurfe said...

This is great news. Hope some new beers can make their way up to the Baton Rouge area. If I can ever get Lagunitis, Russian River, and some Dogfish Head I will be a happy camper.

Unknown said...

Here is a new craft beer available through Southern Eagle. This is a 6% alc/vol Belgian Style Ale, that is very good.

BottleTree Blonde

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LstoJRjl6Ng&feature=related

www.bottletree.net

Glass Bottles said...

Where is Avenue Pub? Flying out tomorrow morning!

The Beer Buddha said...

Avenue Pub
1732 St. Charles Ave

Have fun!

Cheers!

BB