Sunday, November 7, 2010

Beer Review: Great Northern Brewing Company Snow Ghost Winter Lager


I'm one of those weird guys that feel certain styles of beer should only be consumed during certain seasons. Don't get me wrong, if you want to drink a russian imperial stout during the middle of summer that's your prerogative.



Yeah I just did that. Anyways, I'm just one of those guys that thinks darker beers should be consumed in cooler weather. A stout during the oppressive Louisiana summers just doesn't work for me. That's why I enjoy the fall and winter so much.

Yeah, yeah I know the winter beers do come out around the middle of September but that's a whole new post for another time. For me a dark, flavorful beer is perfect for the colder winter months.

Just yesterday a package from the folks at Great Northern Brewing Company arrived at my doorstep with some of their seasonal and specialty line up brews. Today was pretty damn cold and I felt that it was the perfect time to crack open the Snow Ghost they sent me.

             If you don't recognize this pic then I lose respect for you.


Here is my review:

Brewery: The Great Northern Brewing Company

Beer: Snow Ghost Winter Lager

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager (per BA)

ABV: 5.9%

Louisiana Availability: None

Appearance:
This beer poured a nice dark brown with a nice ruby hue. It had a nice foamy, tan head with great sticky lacing.

Smell: Wonderfully rich aroma of coffee and roasted malts.

Taste: Wow. Great rich and complex flavors of roasted malt, chocolate and toffee with a moderate but well balanced bitterness from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A fantastic seasonal from these guys. Wish we could get this down in New Orleans.

Score: Photobucket 3.5 out of 5 Buddhas

Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

No comments: