Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Beer Review: Southern Tier Iniquity


Road trips are the best. I love visiting other cities and towns. Getting to experience their culture, food, drink, etc is an incredible thing. Sometimes we get wrapped up in our own world and never get this experience.

My wife and I have been married for nearly 13 years and we've made it a point since day one to try and take big and small trips throughout the year. Being a beer nerd one of the things that I like to do when planning a trip is to check on the breweries, beer stores and beer bars available in the town/city we are visiting. It's pretty easy to do thanks to the internet. It's real easy if you utilize Beeradvocate.com's Beerfly Directory

Anyways, on a recent trip to Orlando to visit my family and take my kid to Disney we made a stop at The Liquor Loft in Tallahasse, Florida. I wrote about that store here. On that trip I was lucky enough to grab some great beers. One of them is Southern Tier's Iniquity which is a Black IPA or Cascadian Dark Ale. I just got around to writing a review on it so here ya go:

Brewery: Southern Tier Brewing Company. Tells you pretty much everything beer related you can do in a given town.

Beer: Iniquity

Style: Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale(per BA)

ABV: 8.9%

Louisiana Availability: NONE

Appearance: This brew pours a nice dark black with ruby highlights. The head is a nice and frothy tan color. Lacing present throughout.

Smell: The aroma has a nice piney hoppiness with hints of citrus and roasted malt, chocolate and caramel.

Taste: GREAT brew! As in the nose it has a nice hoppy bitterness with hints of roasted malt, chocolate, caramel and toffee. The roasted malt in the IPA really creates a well balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Incredible brew!!! The Black IPA is a style we're seeing more of and I love them!

Score: Photobucket 4.5 out of 5 Buddhas

Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

No comments: