Thursday, October 13, 2011

Spent Grain Dog Biscuits: Halloween Style

Spent grain. There are all sorts of things you can do with it. Make bread, place in your compost pile or even do what NOLA Brewing does and give it to feed cows and make yummy cows.

At New Orleans on Tap I ran into Melanie, who is the brewer at NOLA and she was handing out homemade spent grain dog biscuits. I thought that was a pretty kick ass idea and decided to give it a try. I figured that I have two dogs(Falstaff and Elvira) and I wanted to see if they'd enjoy it.

I decided to include my daughter because I thought it would be a nice Daddy and Daughter Day activity for our full blown D & D Weekend since the old lady is out of town. Now I don't homebrew due to this disease I have called laziness but I know someone who does. NOLA Brewing. So me and the kid took a quick trip down to the brewery and grabbed a tupperware full of some NOLA Blonde spent grain. After we got home I was ditched for a singles game of dress-up and Phineas and Ferb so I was on my own. Oh well.

Overall the process was really easy! The toughest part was getting through the smell of the peanut butter as I have a strong dislike for it. Gagging while rolling out the dough was pretty funny though.

Here is the ingredient list and some pics!

Ingredients:

4 cups spent grain
4 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
Water- Use very small amounts of water while kneading to soften

**And for those that are worried about hops coming into contact with the spent grain don't worry. Hops do not generally come into contact with the spent grain. Hops are bad for dogs though so watch out! Thanks to Melanie from NOLA Brewing for that little bit of important information!

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Roll out(I used a beer bottle)into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Make the shapes you want. Cookie cutters work well. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F then lower the oven temperature to 225 F for 8 to 10 hours to dry them very thoroughly to prevent mold growth. Store in an airtight container.

Ingredients


Spent Grain


Roll it out bitch


Skulls are hardcore.



My skull army.


Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

No comments: