Saturday, March 30, 2013

Beer Review: Indio


Well, after I announced I wasn't going to do beer reviews I got a bunch of emails stating that I should continue.  Okay, okay, enough with the begging.  Here ya go.  I enjoyed writing this one.

So recently a company sent me some samples of a beer named Indio.  I will admit this label kicks some serious ass.  I am one of those beer drinkers that enjoys an awesome label.  Honestly it's how I first started buying my beer.  I went by the label.

Indio, according to the press release, has been "brewed and sold in Mexico since 1893".  Looks like they were recently acquired by Heineken USA and apparently they crunched some serious numbers and found out that "there are five million multicultural millennial consumers in the U.S. who are characterized as confident, self-expressive and receptive to new ideas and ways of living".  I have no idea what any of this means.  I don't know what "multicultural millennial consumers" are.  I guess they mean young Hispanics since they later go on to say that is their target audience.

So, um, I have a question here before I get into the review of the beer.  I'm no cultcha expert but isn't the term Indio a negative one?  I thought it was a racist/classist term to describe indigenous people in Mexico?  Perhaps someone with more knowledge could answer that one for me.

Here is my review:

The taste is...typical of a mass produced lager with darker malts being used.  Tastes a lot like every other "dark" beer I've had coming out of Mexico.  It's a bit like a Corona with caramel flavoring added.  I guess it's not horrible.  It ain't great either.  However, I bet it's MUCH safer than drinking the water in Mexico!  Montezuma's Revenge or Indio?  I choose Indio every time!

Score:  1 1/2 Buddhas
 photo 1.jpg

 

No comments: