Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beer Review: Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager


The lager. Probably one of the most misunderstood and wrongly blasted styles off beer there is by beer geeks(snobs?) Even the mention of lagers makes the beer snob froth at the mouth and spout of a diatribe about the big evil empire, BMC(Bud, Miller, Coors).

Many forget that Sam Adams, Brooklyn Brewing, Laguintas, Yuengling and many other American breweries produce very quality lagers. It's unfortunate to watch many newbies become enraptured in this growing hate of the lager. I used to hear many newbies make blanket statements regarding their hate or dislike of ales and now I'm hearing it regarding lagers. It's as if liking lagers will mean they won't be accepted into the beer geek crowd or something.

I for one get strange looks and comments when I am seen drinking Miller High Life at Avenue Pub. The Beer Buddha shouldn't drink macro beers! It's not right! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Whatever. I drink what I like(and what's available to me). I guarantee that if Yuengling was available in Louisiana I'd have a case available to me at all times that's for sure!

Anyways, I was lucky enough to receive a sample in the mail of Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager from Great Northern Brewing Company out of Whitefish, Montana. This dry hopped lager is hopped with Mittelfruh and Saaz hops and made with 2-row malted barley. No adjunct grains are used in this beer so all you purists should be happy! Cool side note before I get to the review. Black Star is carried on all Virgin America Airline flights! Here is my review:

Brewery: Great Northern Brewing Company

Beer: Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager

Style: American Pale Lager(source: BA)

ABV: 4.6%

Louisiana Availability: None

Appearance: Black Star poured a clear, golden straw color with a huge, fluffy white head. Lacing was present throughout.

Smell: Instantly hit with malty sweetness with slight hints of spiciness from the hops.

Taste: This is definitely an all malt brew. Very crisp and clean flavors with hints of malty sweetness and a typical lager graininess.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean with a medium light body.

Overall: A solid lager. I was fortunate enough to receive both a sample in the bottle and a sample in the can and I would say the can tastes much better. Perfect for grilling out on those hot summer days. And at 4.6% abv a somewhat sessionable brew.

Score: Photobucket 3 out of 5 Buddhas

Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

No comments: