Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Beer Review: Saint Somewhere Saison Athene

Saint Somewhere Brewing. What can I say other than I think they are truly the little brewery that could. These guys are a small operation out of Tarpon Springs, Florida. When I say small I mean it. They actually put out posts on Myspace that ask people to come down to the brewery and help bottle beer. Payment? Lunch and six bottles. No seriously. They just worked out a distribution deal with Shelton Brothers, an importer out of Belchertown, Massachusetts. Yeah, I said an importer. Usually the distribution chain is three tiered being brewery, distributor then store. These guys are doing whatever it takes to get their beers out there to the public and I think it's great.

I previously reviewed a Saint Somewhere beer before with their Lectio Divina which was a fantastic brew. Recently I acquired their Saison Athene and have been waiting for the right moment to drink it! I finally got around to it the other night and man what a beer. Here is my review:

Brewery: Saint Somewhere

Beer: Saison Athene

Style: Saison/Farmhouse Ale

ABV: 7.50%

Recommended Glassware: Pint Glass, Tulip, Oversized Wine Glass

Serving Type: Wine Glass

Appearance: The beer poured a hazy, golden straw color with a huge white, fluffy head. Lacing was present throughout the entire life of the beer.

Smell: Nice earthy, grainy, lemon-y and funky aroma. Interesting hint of pepper.

Taste: Wonderfully funky taste with a nice hop spice. Hints of lemon, earthy yeast and pepper are present. Nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Once again a fantastic job by St. Somewhere Brewing. This is another beer I'll be picking up any chance I see it!!

Score: Photobucket 4.5 out of 5 Buddhas

No comments: