Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beer Review: Thomas Creek Brewery Orange Blossom Pilsner Squared




When I travel I always trying to find the best local beer store in the area. If I can stay away from chains I try. The same goes for when I buy beer. I not only buy beers I can't get in Louisiana but I always do my best to find local brews as well so I can do my part by Supporting Your Local Brewery.

Well, because there isn't much in terms of beer stores in Orlando I found myself at Total Wine, which is like a Sam's Club for alcoholics. It's pretty awesome. Anyways, I had previously tried the OBP (not squared)which I found to be "not all the bad" according to my Beeradvocate review so I decided to try this one.

According to the label they claim they made this beer with "half the water, twice the flavor" and said it was similar to making a pot of coffee with less water. I'll be honest this statement really didn't mean a whole lot to me seeing I hate coffee and haven't yet started brewing. I guess it makes sense. For some reason, "half the water" too me means less to drink. For those who don't know what Orange Blossom Honey is, it is honey that is produced by bees that get the nectar from Orange tree blossoms. Pretty cool. Anyways, on to the review! Oh yeah by the way, OBP2 is contract brewed by Thomas Creek Brewery for Orlando Brewing Partners.

Brewery: Thomas Creek Brewery for Orlando Brewing Partners

Beer: OBP2 aka Orange Blossom Pilsner Squared

Style: Herbed/Spiced Beer

ABV: 11.00%

Recommended Glassware: Pint Glass or mug

Serving Type: I used my Sam Adams glass.

Appearance- The beer poured a nice dark amber orange with a descent size off white head. Lacing was present but minimal.

Smell- Huge orange blossom honey smell. WOW the smell is very nice. It has some nice biscuity and yeast aromas going on as well.

Taste- The honey and orange flavors really punch you in the mouth right off the bat. Not necessarily a bad thing but too me it gives off an Orange Crush soda kind of taste. The 11% ABV is slightly detectable yet mostly hidden which is good.

Mouthfeel- It's got a heavy yet smooth mouthfeel. The beer has medium carbonation.

Overall- This isn't a bad tasting beer. I had their other OBP and this one is a better beer by far. The overpowering honey taste is just too much for me though.

Score: Photobucket 3.5 out of 5 Buddhas

No comments: