Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beer Review: Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Lager

Picked this beer up when I was in Florida on my trip in June. This is another beer we cannot get in Louisiana. I just don't understand why distribution companies aren't willing to bring beer in. This beer has a distribution deal with AB so I assume our local AB dealer, Southern Eagle, would be the ones to talk with. I was already told by a sales rep from this company that there isn't a craft beer crowd here in New Orleans so they didn't feel it was important to bring a whole lot of craft beer in. SO, because they say there is no market(which there is that's why the store I work at does a nice beer business)we can't get Kona or Goose Island. Nice. Ok, rant over on to the review.





Brewery: Kona Brewing Company

Beer: Longboard Lager

Style: American All-Malt Lager

ABV: 5.50%

Recommended Glassware: Pilsner Glass

Serving Type: My Sam Adams glass

Appearance- This beer poured a pale yellow with a descent size white head. Lacing was present throughout.

Smell- It had a nice, clean malty smell too it.

Taste- Very good for a lager. Wonderful, refreshing malty flavors with a nice hoppy bitterness which created a nice balance.

Mouthfeel- A nice medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall- A fantastic lager. I went into this expecting a typical macro style lager but was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Nice light beer with plenty of flavor. I would love to be sitting on the beaches of Hawaii drinking this one!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with your description of this beer. I just picked up a keg of it a couple of weeks ago and have gotten great response from my football friends. It is now the beer of choice for NFL Sundays!!! Sorry to hear you can't get it in LA, it is growing in popularity in So Cal.

The Beer Buddha said...

Thanks for visiting the ol site. Man, I bet it tastes even better from the keg!!! Damn, I wish we could get this beer!!!

Cheers!

The Beerbuddha