Sunday, August 11, 2013

Beer Review: Bayou Teche Cocodrie


Alright, so I've been drinking while writing this so I'm going to say something here that may be blasphemous to some. Not to the local Louisiana folks but maybe some New Yorkers.  I think Bayou Teche is the Brooklyn Brewery of Louisiana.  But Bayou Teche's beers may be better.

I compare the two because Brooklyn Brewery does a great job with the beer and food pairing thing.  A GREAT job.  Down here in Louisiana, Bayou Teche is doing the same thing but with mostly Cajun cuisine.  And man are they killing it.  In May, when they first released Cocodrie they threw a crawfish boil at Avenue Pub.  Really wish I could have made that one!

In terms of me saying that their beer is better well, that's just strictly my opinion.  You can judge for yourself though.  I do however find it ironic that Bayou Teche is distributed in New York.  Yeah, New York.  New Yorkers want this beer pretty damn bad.  Why is that ironic? Because Bayou Teche is limited pretty much to the Gulf South.  And New York.  WTF?  Ironic. Seriously. Take note Alanis Morissette.



I recently received a sample from the brewery of their Cocodrie Tripel IPA.  No, it's not a TRIPLE IPA.  It's a TRIPEL.  Think Belgian Tripel mixed with IPA.  Kinda like Jean Claude Van Damme with hops.


Coors Van Damme?  WTF?

Here is a description from their website:

Cocodrie is Cajun French for alligator, and this Belgian style ale is stuffed with enough hops to stand up to a sauce-piquant prepared with one. We recklessly crammed IPA-worthy additions of hops (six separate hop additions, plus dry hopping) into an elegant and tastefully brewed Tripel – the spice and fruit flavors from the yeasts mix with the sumptuous hop flavors to create a rich, yet dangerously drinkable IPA. 
Our interpretation of the celebrated Tripel IPA style of beer is crafted with a generous amount of Pilsner malt which insures this ale clocks in at just over 8 percent ABV. Our brewmaster, Gar Hatcher selected strains of French and Belgian yeasts for their complementary fruit and spice flavors which meld with the multiple additions of elegant European hops. Cocodrie is then dry-hopped with French and Styrian hops which provides this beer its fruity, citrus, herbal and spicy hop aroma.

Not sure why (maybe because I am feeling a little tipsy) but this beer screams drink me while enjoying some amazing cheese and french bread.  So I did.  And it was great.  If it wasn't so damn hot outside I would have enjoyed this outside on the patio.  But this is Louisiana.  Way too hot for all that.  At least right now.  And, well, I don't have a patio anyway.

I enjoyed this beer a lot.  Bayou Teche is really just doing it right.  The Louisiana craft beer scene is blowing up and they are proving to be one of the leaders.  They are doing more than just brewing a great beer they are creating a great Louisiana beer culture.

Here is my review:

Brewery:  Bayou Teche Brewing

Beer:  Cocodrie

Style:  Belgian IPA

ABV:  8%

Louisiana Availability:  Summer seasonal.  May-September

Price:  Not sure.  Mine was a sample.

Appearance:  Pours a hazy, golden orange.  Huge off white head.  Great lacing.

Smell:  Right off I get a wonderful hint of ripe fruit, pepper and fresh baked french bread.

Taste:  Hints of stone fruit(apricot?), bready maltiness, piney hops.  Hint of pepper as well.  The 8% really doesn't show which can be bad news for some.

Mouthfeel:  Medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall:  Wow.  Amazing beer.  I could drink this one all day!  But then again I shouldn't at 8%.  Go grab some while you still can.

Score:  4.5 out of 5 Buddhas   photo 4.jpg

Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Had Cocodrie for the first time last evening. In Brooklyn. New York. Not sure why Bayou Teche is focusing its out-of-LA marketing on NYC, but it's to our benefit. Just the right balance of sweet, sour and hoppiness. We liked it as much as you did.

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend and I visited Bayou Teche Brewery last Friday afternoon for a little tour and tasting. The Cocodrie also blew me away. Took me a bit to realize it was a Tripel IPA and not a Triple IPA (I normally don't like super hoppy beers.) Really enjoyed it along with all of the other beers. I always likes the LA 31 but have a new respect for what they're doing after tasting through several of their brews at once.

Mike

Joel Ohmer said...

This is one i've had my eye on for QUITE some time, but alas, living in Houma, LA ... it's proven nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of it. One day, the breweries will take this area seriously!

Prost, my friend!