Sunday, August 4, 2013

Beer Review: 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon



A lot of the reviews on the internet tend to slam low ABV, "summery", or fruity brews while heaping tons of praise on uber hoppy or barrel aged monsters. It's almost as if they are afraid of liking sessionable or fruity beers.  It's kind of sad actually.

If you can't tell by all my recent Facebook posts railing against pumpkin beers being released in July I'm one of those beer drinkers who like to drink with the season.  In the summer I prefer light, crisp, clean beers.  In the winter I prefer boozier beers.  And pumpkin beers?  How about in the goddamn fall?  Just saying.  

Recently, a buddy of mine brought down a serious amount of beers from Richmond, VA and I noticed a 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon in the bunch.  I was excited as I had yet to try this one. Summer is the perfect time for this one!  I've had Tin Roof's Watermelon brew and I liked it a lot so I was really looking forward to this one.

Here is my review:

Brewery:  21st Amendment

Beer:  Hell or High Watermelon

Style:  Fruit beer

ABV:  4.9%

Louisiana Availability:  No

Price:  ?

Appearance:  Poured a hazy, straw color.  Foamy, white head which disappears quickly.

Smell:  A nice light bready aroma with hints of watermelon Jolly Rancher.  Can detect slight hint of rind as well.

Taste:  As in the nose, the breadiness comes across strongly but the watermelon Jolly Rancher is much more prominent and the rind flavor is HUGE.

Mouthfeel:  Crisp, clean beer.  Moderate carbonation.

Overall:  This beer is a great summer beer.  The sweetness of the watermelon is balanced well with the wheat and the rind bitterness.  Really wish we could get this one here in NOLA. The way it has been going lately with all the beers releasing in town it could be sooner rather than later!

Score:  4 out of 5 Buddhas   photo 4buddhas.jpg

Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

1 comment:

Smurfe said...

One of my favorite breweries. They are a big supporter and a sponsor of The Brewing Network. Sully used to be on there a lot. I really like their Monk's Blood and Brew Free or Die IPA. While I am not a fruit beer fan, this one is pretty darn good and actually when Tin Roof brewed theirs, my first reaction was they were ripping this beer off but of course, I realize this isn't true and the style is an excellent beer for our region.