Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beer Review: Abita Spring IPA




Alright, so at this point I have been able to try the Abita Spring IPA a couple of times. I have to admit it's pretty damn good. Abita made the bold decision to replace their spring seasonal Red Ale with this "West Coast" style IPA. I didn't see much complaining when this was announced except from a few people.  I think the Red Ale's sales may have been lacking.

I will be honest my only complaint is calling it a West Coast style IPA. In my opinion if it ain't brewed on the West Coast there ain't nothing West Coast about it. Instead they should call it a Gulf Coast style IPA. That would be pretty rad to have our own style of IPA. Granted I'm not sure what would make a beer a Gulf Coast IPA but then again what makes a beer a West Coast IPA?

Abita did a solid job with this brew. I feel that they are seriously beginning to tap into the talent they have brewing in that building. I'm really looking forward to seeing some more new products from them.  Their next one should be the lemon wheat which will be replacing the regular wheat.   I seriously hope they make the decision to bottle their Black IPA.


Here is my review:

Brewery: Abita Brewery

Beer:  Spring IPA

ABV:  6.25%

Availability:  Seasonal.  Spring.  I assume everywhere with Abita's strong nationwide presence.

Price Range:  $8.99

Appearance:  Golden brew with a frothy white head.

Smell:  Huge hop presence.  Wonderful floral and citrus aromas.

Taste:  I found it to be pretty hoppy.  Not DIPA hoppy but enough to make your back teeth ache a bit.  A little unbalanced but not enough to make it bad.  Hop heads should like this one.  Easy drinking IPA.

Mouthfeel:  Medium body with medium carbonation

Overall:  Overall I have to say great job Abita.  This is a solid brew that really stands out in the crowd of awesome brews we are seeing in the Louisiana craft beer market.  I'm sure others won't agree and that's cool.  They can start their own beer blogs.  My blog, my opinion right?

Score:  3.5 out of 5 Buddhas  Photobucket


Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

4 comments:

Libellula Jewelry™ said...

I totally agree about bottling the Black IPA!

Anonymous said...

Ya, I guess no real definition on West Coast IPA style

http://beervana.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-is-this-mysterious-ipa-of-which.html

Joel Ohmer said...

Never was a fan of the Red Ale ... bring on the IPA!

NOlamanblog said...

Spring Time is upon up. I'm definitely going to have to check out this brewski.