Monday, January 17, 2011

Beer Review: NOLA Brewing Flambeau Red


Lately local craft brewery NOLA Brewing has been on a nice little streak with their seasonal beers. We had Hurricane Saison(which wasn't one of my favorites but did well on the market) and the Irish Channel Stout which received 4.5 Buddhas from me here on this blog. I had said at the time that I felt Irish Channel Stout could possibly be one of their best beers next to the Hopitoulas but I guess opinions change. Especially when they keep one-upping their own brews.

Today I was fortunate enough to stop by the brewery and try their newest creation Flambeau Red. This red ale is named after the men who carry large torches on poles that light the way for the floats and night parades for Mardi Gras. This was originally done before we had electric street lights but is a tradition still carried on today. If you look carefully at that bad ass label you'll see the masked guy with the torch.


Picture borrowed from Mardi Gras Digest


So what about the red ale? In one word: Wow. I think NOLA once again has proven themselves a powerhouse to be reckoned with in Louisiana. I have a feeling this will be my favorite brew and I will be upset that it's only a seasonal. Anyways, on to the review:

Brewery: NOLA Brewing

Beer: Flambeau Red

ABV: approximately 5%

Louisiana Availability: Yes; Seasonal. Will release around end of February beginning March

Price Range: Not on market yet.

Appearance: Huge reddish tan head. Color was a deep ruby amber color.

Smell: Wonderfully hoppy(citrus and pine) with hints of caramel and toffee.

Taste: Wow. Had a nice caramel maltiness with a wonderfully balanced hoppiness too it. And what an incredible balance as well. The hops were cranked up a bit but not too much. Its great because the sweet maltiness greets you in the front and then at mid palate you are greeted with that wonderful hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Wow. Dare I say I think this will be one of NOLA's best beers? Yeah I'll say it. Be ready New Orleans because I think NOLA has another winner on their hands.

Score: Photobucket 4.5 out of 5 Buddhas

5 comments:

Nora said...

Holy crap- I'm drooling at the thought of this! Thanks for the heads up, now I only hate you a little bit for having had some while I have had none. SO SAD.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Buddha! Glad you enjoyed it. We are very happy with it, too. Cheers! Melanie

Travis said...

Will release around end of March beginning February?

BYRON said...

I totally agree. I was lucky enough to taste the F.R.A. a couple of days ago. As much as I like all their other beers, I know for a fact that this is going to be my go-to NOLA of choice when out. This will be a staple in my beverage list at my house. Count on this being a huge success.

Brewskifan said...

I managed to grab a pint at Cooter Brown's just before it went out of season. Fine stuff. I hear NOLA has acquired a canning operation, so looking forward to trying MORE great NOLA beers here in Mississippi.