Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Beer Review: Hamm's

You probably know by now I have a strange infatuation with cheap beers. Not sure why. Maybe sometimes I just need a beer without all the complexities and hype. Maybe I just need something cheap! Either way I'm always on the lookout for those cheap yet tasty beers.

Recently a buddy of mine who writes the Missouri beer blog Show-Me Beer sent over some beer goodies in a recent trade we conducted. I had requested some Hamm's and he delivered. Granted I did get some other beers but those are for a different set of reviews.

Hamm's is one of those regional breweries similar to Lonestar, Dixie and Narragansett. Well known in it's region but not so well outside it. Originally hailing from St. Paul, Minnesota Hamm's at one time had breweries in San Francisco and other cities but eventually was purchased by Miller in 1999.


They were well known for their jingle and their cartoon bear mascot which you can see in the clip below:




I honestly found it to be nice lager. Something to drink while cooking out on the grill during the summer or after(during?)mowing the lawn. Here is my review of the beer:

Brewery: MillerCoors

Beer: Hamm's

Style: American Adjunct Lager

ABV: Unknown

Louisiana Availability: NONE

Price Range: $5.00 per 6 pack

Appearance: The beer poured a clear, golden yellow with a nice frothy white head which dissipated quickly. No lacing present.

Smell: Sweet grain aroma with a metallic tinge to it.

Taste: Very crisp, clean and refreshing brew. Slight lemony sent from hint of hops. Slight grain flavor with a nice sweetness from the malt accompanied by a creamed corn flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin body with high carbonation.

Overall: Perfect beer for the summer. As far as adjunct grain beers go this one is one of the best. As with most cheap lagers I recommend ice cold and in a can.

Score: Photobucket 3 out of 5 Buddhas

4 comments:

Tim (Drunk-Monkey) Marks said...

I had a feeling you would really like Hamm's. I hope you enjoy the other beers as well
Cheers from Show-ME Beer

Chris Creel said...

I admit to being a beer snob but to have a weakness for the old style beers like Hamm's too. I miss those old brews that I drank in college (cause they where cheap.) Thanks for all the beer love!

Anonymous said...

After a week paddling the Minnesota boundary waters they handed me a Hamms on the dock and at the moment it tasted amazing. I have had many since and Hamms is a solid beer.

Anonymous said...

For the price, there isn't a better tasting beer on the market and without any side effects like other cheap brews. Best bang for the buck.