Sunday, December 12, 2010
Have a Beery Christmas: 5 Great Gifts for your Resident Beer Nerd
I know a lot of you are trying to figure out what will be the best present for your spouse. If that spouse is a beer lover well then you came to the right website because I'm going to give you what I feel are 5 of the coolest gifts you can get for your resident beer nerd.
5) A gift card to your local beer store. This is the most simple gift and one of the best because not only does it allow your beer nerd to pick out his or her own beers but it keeps your money local. I would recommend a minimum of $20 on the gift card as that'll still allow them to get a very nice selection and is reasonable for a family on a budget.
4) Beer Glassware. Now unless your beer nerd is like me and has too many beer glasses they could use some "proper" glassware. Beer, like wine, should be consumed in proper glassware or style specific glassware. Each style of beer has its own style of glassware. There are a lot of stores in the New Orleans area where you can get some generic glassware such as Williams & Sonoma or even your local beer store but if you prefer to shop online my recommendation would be Beer Geek Shop as their website is simple to use and they have a nice selection of beer glasses at reasonable prices.
3) Beer Books. I love reading about beer and I think that books always make a great gift. So a book about beer is the best idea right? Here is a list of four books that I've read and enjoyed the most.
Brewmaster's Table by Garret Oliver: This book is perfect for the beer nerd who likes to pair their food and beer.
Great American Craft Beer: A Guide To The Nations Finest Beers and Breweries by Andy Crouch: This book is kind of like a Craft Beer 101 book. Perfect for beginners and any self proclaimed beer expert.
Brewing Up A Business: Adventures in Entrepreneurship from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery by Sam Calagione: Your beer nerd want to start a brewery? Well even if they don't this book is an inspirational read about the entrepreneurial spirit of one of craft beers most celebrated owners.
The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer by Christina Perrozi and Hallie Beaune: Kind of an all beer guide to beer. This one covers styles, food pairings and keeps you entertained the entire time!
2) Old school beer Memorabilia. I'm always a sucker for old school beer stuff from New Orleans brewing past. And it's really easy to find thanks to websites such as ebay. Come on, you know an old school Jax Brewing clock would look great on your wall!
1) A kegerator. I really don't need to say anything here but duh. What beer nerd doesn't want their own personal beer dispenser.
Well there you have it. I think it's a pretty damn good list but if you want to add to it in the comments please feel free because I know there are other great beer gifts out there!
The Beer Buddha