Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Beer Review: Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi


I hear it all the time. "I hate beer in cans cause it tastes like tin" or "Beer should only be served in bottles cause cans ruin the flavor of the brew!". I cannot stress to you dear reader how false these statements truly are.

Here are 5 reasons cans are fine for your beer:

1) Beer cans are made from aluminum not steel anymore and have a safe, food-grade lining inside which prevents the beer from touching actual metal.

2) Cans are easier to recycle.

3) Cans are much better for outdoor activities. Hello? Mardi Gras anyone?

4) Beer in cans stays fresher. There is no way oxygen can seep into the can.

5) Cans protect the beer from becoming light struck thereby protecting the flavor of the beer.

Now I'm not going to get into the argument as to which package is better for beer but I want to stress that beer in the can is perfectly fine. In fact I can honestly say that I've never had a craft beer in a can that I didn't enjoy.

Recently my wife took a trip to Texas and brought back some beer for me from Liquid Town which is by far by place of choice for beer when I'm visiting Corpus.

One of those beers she brought back with her was Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi IPA. Not sure how this beer has alluded me all these years but I have to say I'm extremely happy she brought some Ska Brewing beers back with her. I was extremely impressed! Now if they'd just distribute here in Louisiana!!!


Here is my review of Modus Hoperandi IPA:

Brewery: Ska Brewing

Beer: Modus Hoperandi

Style: IPA

ABV: 6.80%

Available in Louisiana?: NO

Appearance: The beer poured a clear, coppery gold with an incredible, fluffy off white head. Lacing was present throughout the short life of this brew.

Smell: Wonderful hints of grapefruit and pine.

Taste: A nice bready maltiness with hints of grapefruit, mint citrus and pine. Nice bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Nice creamy, medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Damn this is a great well balanced IPA. The bitterness from the hops is balanced extremely well with the malts. Very easy drinking IPA.

Score: Photobucket 4.5 out of 5 Buddhas

7 comments:

Tim (Drunk-Monkey) Marks said...

I think we are getting pretty close in the craft beer crowd to squashing the notion that good beer can't come in cans. Modus Hoperandi is one of those beers that destroys that argument. It is a beautiful beer.

Travis said...

It's a decent brew, but I put Gubna well above it (also available in cans).

Matt said...

I very much agree with your observations regarding bottles vs. cans. The distaste many people express is entirely a product of preconceived notions, whereas if someone were to actually take the "Pepsi Challenge" of bottles vs. cans, he'd be pleasantly surprised. As for this beer, I've not had it. I wish it were available here, as it sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

Ilya Feynberg said...

Ha!

I just voted for this beer in canned IPA beer poll thingy. I'm glad you liked this beer because I personally LOVE it! :)

I actually rate it right along side Oskar Blue's Gordon...which for me is a big thing as I'm an Oskar Blue's junkie.

Ok so you guys don't get this in Louisiana...are you able to get anything from Oskar Blue's over there?

Ilya

Ilya Feynberg said...

Also!

Great job on supporting them canned craft beers Jeremy! Woot woot!

Ilya

The Beer Buddha said...

@ Drunk-Monkey- Getting close you're right!

@Matt- Couldn't agree more!

@Ilya- No we don't get Ska or Oskar Blues here in Louisiana! A dman shame right?

Cheers!

BB

Ilya Feynberg said...

@Jeremy - We'll have to remedy that then! I'm here in Dallas and I get anything Oskar Blue's and most things from Ska. Hmmm....idea's abound lol. I'll have to ship some great beers off your way soon.

Ilya