Thursday, July 1, 2010

Beer, Radio and Classic Rock



So I was flipping radio stations this morning in the Buddha Mobile and I turned it to the lame "rock" station we have here in New Orleans 104.1. I was hoping they may be actually playing something that rocks and was happy to hear some AC/DC. Normally that'll fall to the classic rock station 95.7 but oh well. Anyways, about 4 songs in I notice that they are playing mostly classic rock songs and some 80s hair bands too.

Normally this station will play something that rocks like Rage Against The Machine and go to something whiny like Nickleback, Hinder or Green Day. Not that those bands are necessarily whiny but the station plays their whiny songs. I mean seriously how many damn times do we have to listen to Far Away or Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Anyways, after hearing some good classic rock and 80s rock like AC/DC, Def Leppard and U2 I heard a plug saying they changed the station over to an "80s based classic rock" station. Now I hate that we don't have an alternative rock station but lets be honest the 104.1 Rock of New Orleans just plain sucked.

Here is a list of songs played during the first hour of the new station:

AC/DC – You Shook Me All Night Long
U2 – Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Guns N’ Roses – Welcome To The Jungle
Heart – Barracuda
Def Leppard – Rock Of Ages
Tom Petty – Runnin’ Down A Dream
Billy Squier – The Stroke
Autograph – Turn Up The Radio
Aerosmith – Sweet Emotion
Bon Jovi – You Give Love A Bad Name
Aldo Nova – Fantasy
Bryan Adams – Summer Of ’69
Van Halen – Oh, Pretty Woman
Yes – Owner Of A Lonely Heart
The Steve Miller Band – Jungle Love

RIGHT ON!! Not bad, not bad at all. But I guess you're wondering what the crap does this have to do with beer. The station is called, get this, The Brew. AWESOME!!! I wonder if they'll give a rats ass about the craft beer community. I certainly hope so! Maybe The Beer Buddha can get on air and talk about some good brews!! Dream On right! No pun intended. And if you didn't get the pun you're an idiot. And in honor of this new classic rock station in New Orleans I give you...Def Leppard!!!



Cheers!

The Beer Buddha

1 comment:

Smurfe said...

I just noticed the format change today and have to say it sucks. I overall hate 80's music. If you think your stations are bad there. Try the Baton Rouge radio market.

I will agree that the continuity stunk as you said would play Rage Against The Machine then Nickleback but overall they blew anything around here I can pick up away. I am going to miss the station as when I work that is the only good station I could pick up in my EMS unit.

I guess I will have to hook the XM in my car back up. I do rarely listen to the radio though. Normally it is a Podcast of one of The Brewing Network shows playing.