Saturday, August 1, 2009

30 Days of Craft Beer: Day One


Ok, so today is Day One of 30 Days of Craft Beer. As I said I will review one craft beer a day and will keep everyone updated on my job search.

Job Search


(1) Over the past year I have been in contact with a gentleman named Chan Cox who owns Chan's Wine World in the Panhandle of Florida. There are five locations throughout the Panhandle: Destin, Sandestin, Panama City Beach, Miramar Beach and Ft. Walton Beach. Chan's has a great beer selection and has a beer festival every year as well. My wife and I have talked about relocating to Panama City for about the past year or so. We stayed there for about a week after Hurricane Katrina hit and we absolutely loved it there. The school system there is top notch and would be great for our daughter Evangeline. Much different than here in New Orleans where there are 3 out of the 88 public schools we could possibly send our daughter to and those 3 require a lottery to get your kid in.

If you know me you know I used to be the Assistant Manager and beer guy over at Martin Wine Cellar and enjoyed helping the customers with their beer selections. Chan's would be a great fit for me so I emailed Mr. Cox today and hopefully will receive an email back fairly soon.

(2) I have some brewery contacts in Texas who are asking around. I'm not going to go into details until I hear more info but it's a good one.


Beer Review



Brewery: Boulevard Brewing

Beer: Two Jokers Double Wit

Style: Witbier

Recommended Glassware: Pint Glass

Serving Type: Pint Glass

Appearance - This beer poured a hazy orange color with a huge, fluffy white head which stuck around for a bit. Lacing was very nice.

Smell- Strong hints of yeast, wheat, cloves and lemony citrus.

Taste - Nice tartness upfront with hints of citrus and banana and clove from the yeast. The malt balances this beer well.

Mouthfeel- Very nice crisp and clean with a medium body.

Overall- Another phenomenal brew from the guys over at Boulevard. The Smokestack series are absolutely incredible and this one just adds to it!

Score: 4.5 out of 5 BuddhasPhotobucket

1 comment:

Tim (Drunk-Monkey) Marks said...

Two Jokers is a great way to start this journey. A clean finishing beer for a clean start.

Cheers, Beers, and best of luck