Thursday, August 7, 2008

Beer Review: Goose Island Honker's Ale


So, the wife really truly loves me. On a recent trip to the middle of nowhere Arkansas to visit her grandmother she made the trek over to a local wine shop which also just so happened to carry a descent beer supply. With my detailed list in hand she went about searching for the beers I had asked her to inquire about but in the end felt a phone call would be more efficient. After learning that cell phone reception in this little Arkansas town is a bit spotty she called me on the wine shops phone and all was well. Anyway, she was able to pick up some nice brews and this one from Goose Island Beer Company was one of them. I was really wanting the Bourbon County Stout but alas that was not to be so I settled for this one and was happy I did. Here is my review!
Beer: Honker's Ale
Style: English Bitter
ABV: 4.3%
Recommended Glassware: Pint Glass or Mug
Food Pairings: Cheese: Brick, Edam or Feta
Serving Type: My Sam Adams glass
Appearance- This beer poured a nice copper color with a huge white head. Lacing was present throughout.
Smell- Wonderful malt aroma with nice hints of hops and sweet caramel.
Taste- Nice toasted malty flavors with a caramel sweetness similar to the nose. There is also a nice hoppiness which provides a nice citrus taste to it.
Mouthfeel- A medium body with a medium carbonation.
Overall- This beer is great!! It could function as a prefect session beer with the great taste and the fairly low ABV. I could drink a lot of these!! Only problem. We can't get this down here in Louisiana. Guess it's time to start bugging the local distributor!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I have just become acquainted with Goose Island Brewery even though it is located only about 100 miles from my home town. From the first taste through finishing the bottle, this is a great tasting ale.