Monday, July 28, 2008

Beer Review: Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout





OK, so normally I wouldn't drink an Imperial Stout during the middle of summer. To me stouts just aren't great beers to drink during the oppressive heat of an infamous New Orleans summer. Lagers, Pilsners, Wheats, Weizens or Wits. Those, to me, are good beers to drink while sweating your balls off.

So last night I'm making dinner for my wife and open my beer fridge to grab a nice tasty brew to pass the time and there staring back at me is this Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout. It's been sitting in my fridge for months just waiting for me to consume it. In fact, if you look at my list of current beers in my fridge you'll see a bunch of stouts waiting their turn. I just can't bring myself to do it. But last night guys, I did it. I broke the unwritten rule of drinking a beer in its off-season and....I loved it! So let me stop rambling and get to the review!


Brewery: Terrapin Beer Company
http://www.terrapinbeer.com/

Beer: Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Style: Imperial Stout

ABV: 8.10%

Recommended Glassware: Pint Glass, Snifter or Oversized Wine Glass

Food Pairings: Cheese: Brie, Gouda, Havarti, Swiss General: Chocolate, Digestive Meat: Beef, Smoked Meat, Grilled Meat, Game

Serving Type: I poured this beer into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance - Man this beer poured a oily black with a huge milk chocolate colored head!

Smell - The coffee aroma is SO overpowering but in a good way. Hence the name Coffee Oatmeal Stout.

Taste- Huge roasted coffee flavors dominate but also some hints of chocolate cocoa and some interesting spice I couldn't quite make out.

Mouthfeel - Extremely thick and and heavy. The carbonation was medium.

Overall - Incredible beer! Very tasty and would be a nice replacement for coffee in the morning or perhaps a beer for dessert. Nicely complex with a nice mix of flavors.

No comments: