Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Beer Review: Westvleteren 12

Ok, so recently I got my hands on a Westvleteren 12 thanks to a very good friend, Vickie, who gave me one. Yes, she just gave me a Westy. She found out that I've never had one so she gave it to me. Damn I have good friends. The beer community is full of great people and Vickie is one of them. Anyway on to the Westy!

Westvleteren is a belgian brewery founded in 1838 inside the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren. The brewery brews three beers that have acquired an incredible reputation for taste and quality and are extremely hard to get because of limited availability and very limited distribution. For more info regarding the Westvleteren brewery and their beers go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westvleteren_Brewery Now on to the tasting notes!

Name: Trappist Westvleteren 12
Style: Quadrupel
ABV: 10.20%
Recommended Glassware: Snifter, Tulip or Goblet
Food Pairing: Cheese: Brie, Gouda, Havarti, Swiss, Blue, Cheddar; General: Digestive; Meat: Beef, Smoked Meat, Game


Serving type: Bottle poured into an oversized wine goblet(all I had available)

Appearance- This beer poured a dark amber color with a huge off white head. Lacing was present throughout the entire beer.

Smell- Nice fruit smells with hints of alcohol. Has nice hints of raisins, dark cherries, chocolate and spices.

Taste- Incredible. Great tastes of dark fruits(plums, dark cherries), chocolate and spices(cloves, anise). The high ABV is hidden well.

Mouthfeel- Nice thick yet smooth mouthfeel with medium high carbonation.

Drinkability- This beer is absolutely incredible. Not quite a perfect 5 for me but damn close. I feel lucky to have been able to try one and now I want more.

No comments: